2011, P3, Week 3 Recap
Happy Hump Day to you!
I hope this letter finds you well, recovering and looking forward to Phase 4. This morning, I hopped out of bed at 5am, was rolling on the floor and doing my movement prep by 5:15am and doing 40yd sprints in the dark at Saunders Stadium in South Boston by 5:35am. It was awesome, tranquil and energizing.
Anyways, you should already have received your Challenge Workouts. Marisa and Jackie will be training tomorrow, Thursday at 9am and 6:30pm respectively at the Mackenzie Center if you want to join them and I’ll see you soon.
Lots of good stuff so read on.
This week’s agenda:
- Cardio Minutes
- Recovery Week
- Ask Mike
- Challenge Week
- GD Thank You
- Ski Tickets
- Shout Outs
- Phase 4
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Total|
Rookie Cardio Goals for Weight Loss:
Wk1: males = 125, females = 190
Wk2: males = 150, females = 220 * (if weight loss is goal)
Wk3: males = 175, females = 250 * (if weight loss is goal)
Rookies / Returning Boot Campers
- Weight Loss (WL): 175 males / 250 females
- Fat Loss / Weight Maintenance (FL): 125 males / 190 females; primarily interval sprint based
- Performance: ask me
This week is recovery week. To read why we have recovery weeks click here: https://mikealves.blogspot.com/2010/07/recovery-week.html
Mary Magre asked me a great question about what to do during recovery week. Check out Ask Mike for my answer. Click here.
You’ve heard me talk about “Do Anywhere Workouts” using minimal equipment; well Challenge Week is an extension of that. I take the programs and exercises you’ve trained on for the last 3 weeks and I turn them into fun (loosely typed) games or challenges that you can do on your own without a coach. Of course it’s more fun if you train with a buddy so if you can invite someone from class even better.
Click here to view the 2011, P3 Challenge Week
Click here to find a buddy.
Sunday, March 27, 2011 from 8-9:30am-ish is Measurements & Orientation at the Mackenzie Center. If you’d like to be measured, you may rsvp now. 1st to arrive goes 1st. Once everyone present has been measured we’ll start the orientation, so be early.
GD Thank You
I’d like to thank Carol Vaghar (9am) and Cindy Hutter (6:30pm) for introducing us to Andrea Plotkin and Nova Benedicto respectively. The more people you invite to train with you whether it be walking, yoga, tennis, skiing, basketball, boot camp or whatever, the greater long term success you’ll have with getting into your best shape and staying there. Invite is the key word.
I’ve got 6 tickets left for Cranmore., Mountain, NH. They’ve got 42 trails open, 4 lifts and this is they’re last weekend open so they have some fun events going on. I’m giving them away for free in pairs of 2 and you’re welcome to ask for more than 2 or all of them if you’ll absolutely use them and not sell them or let them sit idly. So just ask.
- Mr. Hustle: Todd Heberlein gets the hustle award for the phase for sprinting from station to station. Coaches love that and hustlers build the habit of being 1st.
- Finding a Way: Sally Babigian rearranged her pre-travel schedule so she could make “1” more class. Laura & Steve Allen, rookies, came to a Monday night class, they’re 6am’ers, so they could keep their momentum. Katy Coughlin for the same. Jen Roy for inviting Stella Lee to play tennis. Carol Vaghar for making brown rice in bulk for the week. Kim Santilli for thoughtfully planning her St. Michael’s Eve, I mean St. Paddy’s Day celebration by getting a 9am burn & earn training session in.
- P3 Perfect Attendance: Susan Kessel, Alicia Straus, Bill Weinreb, Katy Coughlin, Kim Santilli, Mary-Alice Tully, Marisa Cimino, Cindy Hutter, Kristina Day, Stella Lee, Krista Kett, Jennifer Roy, Mary Thomas, Leslie Williams, Laurel Britt-Webb, Jan Giglio, Aileen Murphy, Eric Riak, Mike Day and Jack Goldsmith for finding a way to make all of your training sessions.
- Good Bye for Now and Good Luck to Kristina and Mike Day as they are moving to Washington D.C.
- Cardio High Fives for Week 2: Marc Gromada, Susan Kessel, Marisa Cimino, Jackie Bunt, Cindy Hutter, Deb Rooney, Matthew Sarrett, Kristina Day, Kristen Pepe, Jennifer Roy, Carol Gray, Kathy Krongel, Rachel Viscomi, Mary Magre, Laura Allen and Stephen Allen for matching or beating your week 2 cardio goals.
Phase 4 begins with measurements & orientation Sunday, March 27, 2011 from 8-9:30am and 1st classes begin on Monday. We’re going to be switching the emphasis from weight loss intervals towards more fat loss intervals by introducing more hypertrophy rep ranges (8-12) and less endurance rep ranges (12-30+). This will look like 20:10 Tabata Intervals (8-12 reps), Continuous 20-min workouts (4 exercises, 10 reps, 2min/round) and a 40:15 tempo (15-20 reps) to bridge the change.
Cheers and wishing you a great week of body changes!